[OM] Re: FL-50 w/Stofen Omni-Bounce

Subject: [OM] Re: FL-50 w/Stofen Omni-Bounce
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 11:07:10 -0400
But if you use the flash in manual mode pay attention to the operation
of the controls.  I have two 522's which are fairly powerful flash units
and, as mentioned, easily attach the Sto-Fen Omnibounce.  They also have
a good manual control range spanning 7 stops.  However, the control
wheel is quite small and hard to read in a hurry and in low light.  I
assume the 544 is the same design although the 622 may be different.

Although the 500 and 600 series flashes are somewhat more powerful than
the 383/400 series of flashes they're easier to use in manual mode than
the 500 series.  The 383/400 series are more akin to the now defunct
Vivitar 283's and 285's except that the Sunpak units are more powerful.
  They offer similar guide numbers but at a wider angle of coverage.
The 383, 422 and (I believe) others in the 400 series have a 5 stop
manual range.  The control is a linear slider and easier to read and
operate.  It could still be better.  I suspect that the 120J has a
similar linear slider.  But I can't find images of the side or back of
these units to actually see the controls.

You need to visit a store that sells these things or else talk to
someone who owns one.  IRC, John Lind was a satisfied user of the 120J
and/or the 622 but I don't know how much he might have used these units
in manual mode.

Chuck Norcutt