[OM] Re: The thing about my E-1...

Subject: [OM] Re: The thing about my E-1...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:23:32 -0800
AG Schnozz wrote:
> Moose wrote:
>
>> AG posts some excellent B&W shots, then comes back and puts
>> them down as derivative and not furthering the art - after
>> several folks post positive comments about them. If I set my
>> goals based on matching what someone else has done, and don't
>> achieve it in my own eyes, perhaps it's because I might
>> better serve myself by creating something that pleases
>> my own instincts, rather than some external standard.
>>

> Thank you, Moose.  I was in a rather foul mood yesterday and am
> glad that I resisted the "Format d:" command.  Sorry for the
> tirade.

I don't think you should be sorry. It seems to me that part of the
reason this list is so much more engaging than others is that many
members are relatively free with their inner process around the common
theme of photography. I imagine we are all subject to similar issues
inside. Airing them out to others who can understand and empathize is
helpful. Hearing similar themes expressed by others, perhaps especially
those good enough that we imagine them not to be subject to the same
doubts and concerns, is also helpful.
>> I can see what AG is talking about, and yet, what is
>> completely new? What does advancing the art mean? Those are
>> really internal standards within himself.
>>
> Absolutely! At issue, for me, is the self-plagerising.
What a wonderful phrase! Is that even possible? I sort of prefer to
think of it as multiple efforts to express what is inside in concrete form.
> I've already done those shots. The only thing different was the specific
> location and lighting.  I *WANT* to see the scene differently!  I *WANT* to
> have a fresh vision!
I understand the urge, but also suspect you are being a little hard on
yourself. You are in good company. Michangelo kept journals, which are
full of dissapointment, doubt and self-loathing comments because he
could never get close in physical output to the vision he had inside.
And yet... his work was not too shabby from other perspectives.  :-)

I'm not claiming you are or are not as good as any other artist, but in
my humble opinion, you are a pretty damn good photographic artist.
> However, that said, I will acknowledge that these were my best results. The
> symmetry, the yin/yang pattern in #3, the diagonal demark line going from
> top-left to bottom-right in #2.  Not to self-praise, but those really are
> well done.  I *CAN* take pride in the shots.
Atta boy!
> They are decent.
Better than that.
> They will sell.
>
> But no matter how decent a shot is, if it doesn't move me
> forward or to a higher plateau, it's just "another pretty
> picture" to me.  There are probably six pictures in my entire
> library that I consider "new plateau" pictures. These are
> pictures that literally moved me to a higher level in skillset,
> interpretation and vision. One of those pictures remains on my
> office wall where I can see it every day.  It's been there for
> almost five years! I really would like to replace it--not that
> it's a bad picture, it's that I'm ready for the new level.

Well, I don't know where that is, for you or for me, but I wish you well
in finding it.

I find mine in all sorts of odd places. Yesterday, I finally thought of
a simple and elegant solution to a programming dilemma that I've been
chewing on for a bit. Putting it into concrete form and seeing it work
properly was a high. Now, of course, I have to apply it to seven more
processes, which will generate more money, but feel pretty boring doing
it now that the concept and proof work is over.

And I just had occasion to reread some dreamwork I did by for a client
by email a few months ago. It gave me the shivers and goosebumps just
reading it. Wow, was I hot that day! Anybody who thinks I sometimes
write spacey stuff here ain't seen nothin'.  :-P      I've got another
piece to do in the next day or two, and I think I got a hold of an
opening into it last night. Think making images is fun? Just try diving
into them and discovering all the amazing stuff inside!

We're all in this together, and I'm pulling for you, and you and you
....- and me.

Moose