[OM] Re: The thing about my E-1...

Subject: [OM] Re: The thing about my E-1...
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 07:21:40 -0800 (PST)
Moose wrote:
> AG posts some excellent B&W shots, then comes back and puts
> them down as derivative and not furthering the art - after
> several folks post positive comments about them. If I set my
> goals based on matching what someone else has done, and don't
> achieve it in my own eyes, perhaps it's because I might
> better serve myself by creating something that pleases
> my own instincts, rather than some external standard.

Thank you, Moose.  I was in a rather foul mood yesterday and am
glad that I resisted the "Format d:" command.  Sorry for the
tirade.

> I can see what AG is talking about, and yet, what is
> completely new? What does advancing the art mean? Those are
> really internal standards within himself.

Absolutely! At issue, for me, is the self-plagerising.  I've
already done those shots. The only thing different was the
specific location and lighting.  I *WANT* to see the scene
differently!  I *WANT* to have a fresh vision!  However, that
said, I will acknowledge that these were my best results. The
symmetry, the yin/yang pattern in #3, the diagonal demark line
going from top-left to bottom-right in #2.  Not to self-praise,
but those really are well done.  I *CAN* take pride in the
shots. They are decent.  They will sell.

But no matter how decent a shot is, if it doesn't move me
forward or to a higher plateau, it's just "another pretty
picture" to me.  There are probably six pictures in my entire
library that I consider "new plateau" pictures. These are
pictures that literally moved me to a higher level in skillset,
interpretation and vision. One of those pictures remains on my
office wall where I can see it every day.  It's been there for
almost five years! I really would like to replace it--not that
it's a bad picture, it's that I'm ready for the new level.
AG

http://mail.yahoo.com