[OM] Help! Moron needs computer advice.

Subject: [OM] Help! Moron needs computer advice.
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 15:48:38 +0000
It's time for a new computer, one suitable for reasonably serious photo editing
and such.  All the other software I use runs just fine on my 7-year-old desktop
or my 4-year-old laptop, so that's not a factor requiring consideration
relative to the new one.  I am NOT a gamer, so I don't give a RA about that
stuff.

The currently resident peripherals that will be connected include only one to a
parallel port, an aging Kyocera FS-1500A laser printer.  Everything else is
USB: an Epson Stylus Photo 2200 printer, Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400
scanner, Epson Perfection 3200 scanner (soon to be replaced with something
better for MF scans), a Wacom CTE-630 tablet, and, naturally, keyboard, mouse,
wireless network thingy, and other ordinary stuff.

I have a computer saved and sitting in my Dell cart, but I really don't know if
it's more than I need or less than I need.  I don't want to waste money on
stuff I don't need, but, on the other hand, I don't want to end up with
something that huffs and puffs to get done what I want to do -- which may even
finally include me deciding to try Photoshop in addition to PWP.

So, if those of you who know more than I do about computers, which is probably
most of you, could offer a suggestion or two, I would appreciate it.  I may
pull the trigger on something new tomorrow, or I may be back in six months
still trying to decide what to do.  Buying a new computer isn't nearly as
exciting or half as much fun as buying a new ride.  Or even a new digital
camera, for that matter.  :-)

This is what?s in the cart right now:

Dell XPS 600: Pentium D processor 830 with dual core technology (3.0GHz, 800FSB)

Operating system: Windows XP Media Center 2005

Memory: 2GB dual channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz - 4DIMMs

Keyboard: Dell USB Enhanced multimedia keyboard

Monitor: 20-inch UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen digital flat panel

Video card: 256MB PCI Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800

Hard drive: 500GB Performance RAID 0 (2 x 250GB SATA HDDs)

Floppy drive: 13-in-1 media card reader and 3.5 in. floppy drive

Mouse: Dell optical USB mouse

Modem: 56K PCI Telephony modem

CD or DVD drive: Dual Drives: 48x CD-RW drive + 16x DVD+/-RW double layer write
capable

Walt, who needs all the help he can get

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from