[OM] Re: Digital decisions

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital decisions
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 18:00:11 +0000
The lights in our living room -- 12 60W incandescent bulbs in three fixtures
hanging from a vaulted ceiling -- are on a dimmer switch.  I've occasionally
taken a few available light cat pictures in this room, even a few of my wife,
with the 14-54 and didn't notice any focusing problems.  I've got my E-1 set to
the center focus point only, and it's got the most recent firmware.

It's a sunny day here, and there are way too many windows in this room to try
it now -- turning on the lights wouldn't even be noticeable -- but when it gets
dark tonight, I'll see if I can duplicate that problem, using different dimmer
settings.  Education and elucidation through experimentation!

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --

From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>

--snip--
> I believe the AF issue is what Ag-en referred to, that the firmware update
> change the AF sensor sample rate by slowing it a bit and hence put it into
> a range that aliases with incandescent lamps on dimmers. It would
> go wild. I also tried attaching an FL-40 flash to use the auto-focus
> assist light and it also had problems. I did not have auto-focus points
> specifically selected. I know I checked it for dust per recommendation
> by Olympus:
--snip--