[OM] Re: Digital decisions

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital decisions
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 07:35:43 -0500
I think the original question here about Vivitar flash was for the 555FD
(one of my favorites on the hot shoe when used in conjunction with a
T-32 on a BG-2).  However, I think I would be a bit leery of the 555FD
on an E-x machine since it has no less than 7 electical contacts on the
foot (to support Olympus, Minolta and Pentax).  Further, it does not
have the cam operated pin retractors as found on a T-32.  It would seem
to me that some of those 6 surplus pins are going to be in contact with
something (possibly undesirable) on the E-x hot shoe.

But, I wouldn't stop there since the 555FD is a nice little flash.  I'd
do one of two things.  I'd remove the foot, find the center contact and
ground contact wires and snip all the other surplus TTL wires.
Alternatively, if you'd like to preserve all the flash's original TTL
function I'd use a $10 hot shoe adapter like this one:
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=95414&is=REG&addedTroughType=search>
The base of this one is all plastic and won't short any pins on the E-x
hot shoe.  I have a couple of these which I think I bought at the local
Ritz store for about the same price as this oboy auction.  Pop this into
the hot shoe on the camera, attach the cord to the PC connector on the
camera and slip the 555FD into the hot shoe of the adapter.

Of course, if the contacts in the E-x hot shoe are recessed then you
might also be able to use something like this:
<http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Piece-Hot-Shoe-Camera-Flash-Adapter-Metal-1-25-Ship_W0QQitemZ7595248290QQcategoryZ30084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting>
which has a test button, additional PC connectors and would allow use of
a longer cord to get the flash well off camera.  It also includes a
separate cold shoe which could be used to mount a slave off camera.
Although, for that purpose I'd prefer to use one of these:
<http://cgi.ebay.com/Hot-Shoe-Slave-Flash-Trigger-for-Nikon-Canon-NEW_W0QQitemZ7596850222QQcategoryZ30087QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
You can also buy these at the local Ritz store for about $10-12.

Cheers,
Chuck Norcutt