[OM] Re: [OM-D] PMA 2006 Olympus info?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM-D] PMA 2006 Olympus info?
From: "Marc Lawrence" <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 18:22:37 +1100
> Moose wrote:
> Perhaps you would be so kind as to pass on a summary of
> the results?

(in relation to the Sigma 30/1.4)

It's a simple, two-page article, that starts with the premise of
a "revival of interest" in the 50mm lens in recent times and, thus,
the advent of the Sigma 30/1.4 to fulfull that interest for those
with smaller-than-35mm-sensor DSLR's. The first page doesn't give
that much other than explanations and some spec's (there's a
"closest focussing" error in the article that is fortunately
contradicted in the listed spec's - yuo can infer the correct
item).

The second page says that the lens is "surprisingly large" (noting
it also comes with a petal-shaped lens hood), and that this size
is dicated by its "telecentric design" (it sounds like "press release"
material to me). It notes that while focussing is not internal,
the front element doesn't extend beyond the end of the barrel and
that fitting a filter will "effectively enclose the lens, totally
preventing the ingress of dust". The HSM motor is "very quiet,
accurate and fast, and works at "quite low light levels, helped,
no doubt, by the wide maximum aperture".

There is a "quality trade-off at the widest apertures", but it's
"acceptable" wide open. The resolution tests show it improves to
f4, remains stable to f11, then declines slightly at f16.

"Excellent optical quality" and "high build quality" are also
mentioned (If it's like my 10-20mm, it certainly will have a
feel of solidity about it, if not C*non "L" standard).

It finishes with talk abouting its usability, which, as they
say, may depend on whether you're a "creative fusspot" or not
(they say this affectionately, with the suggestion that many
of their readers are).

Anyway, it's not much of a review. I think I'd like to see one
of 'Practical Photography''s comparisons, or some other comparing
it with examples to other similar lenses in the other stables (a
Canon "L", just for the hell of it, for instance). I didn't get
much out of the article that I couldn't find many times over via
Google.

There it is - a summary nearly as long as the article. :-)

I'm still interested though.

Cheers,
Marc
Sydney, Oz