[OM] Re: [Digital] What I've been missing...

Subject: [OM] Re: [Digital] What I've been missing...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 14:53:21 -0800
Winsor Crosby wrote:

>Which goes back to my old pet peeve with Oly, the stopping of all
>progress and updating of the OM series. There was a lot that could
>have been done to keep them fresh and competitive even if a launch
>into AF was not desired.

It was desired, all right. They simply failed in R&D and the
marketplace.  I was talking to a fellow who spent those years in
photography retailing. He still gets a bit upset about the Oly AF SLRs.
He said they tried to talk people out of them, but couldn't always, and
yet they know that at least 50% would be back within a few weeks. He
just HATED them.

Oly simply blew it, with product that performed below average for the
time and was unreliable. Whether it was loss of interest as the AF
models crashed and burned, or business sense, I think their decision to
stop spending R&D money on the OM series and accessories, cut their
losses and move ahead where they were competitive is an important reason
they are still around today.

Moose