[OM] Re: Dvorak's new rating system for P&S cams

Subject: [OM] Re: Dvorak's new rating system for P&S cams
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 21:15:21 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> The only people I am aware having been banned are people who have
> tried to conduct their commercial enterprises on the forum and
> troublemakers who go on forums and trash talk the cameras used by
> that group. He has clearly posted rules and he tends to not be very
> hard nosed about it. I don't think he has much time to police his
> forums. There are a lot of them and he does a lot of very time
> consuming reviews.

He has staff (volunteers?) which police the forums/complaints and very
quickly ban people who even remotely break the rules.  Something as simple
as posting a URL to a "competing" site will get you banned.  The Olympus
forum has just had a few long time posters banned for such activity.  The
forum software also automatically removes urls from your posting if Phil
has deemed that site to be banned from his site.  I agree with banning
people who are problematical, but come on, posting a link to a commercial
site which has a competing review shouldn't get you banned.  It's obvious
dpreview only wants you to see their reviews and their sponsors on their
site.
                                                -mark