[OM] Re: Q: Phantom Ranch, Grand Canyon

Subject: [OM] Re: Q: Phantom Ranch, Grand Canyon
From: Akavar Dylutra <akavar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 13:01:02 -0800 (PST)
Joel-

I have not hiked the trails you metion, but I have spent a lot of time along
the rims - both north and south.

If you have not hiked in the canyon before you may not realize just how far
down you go to reach Phantom Ranch.  I am not sure of the distance from the
south rim as it depends on where you start.  However the vertical drop is over
3,000 feet.

If you go up to the north rim you will climb 5,000 feet because it is 2,000
feet higher in elevation than the south rim.  That also means it is much
colder.  For that reason it is closed in the winter and does not reopen until
mid May.  If you are able to hike there you will not find any services
available until mid May.

Then you will need to hike down the 5,000 feet to the canyon floor and back up
3,000 feet to the south rim where you started.  That can be quite a physical
exertion.

Hope that helps.

Akavar