[OM] Re: [Digital] It's over

Subject: [OM] Re: [Digital] It's over
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:34:56 +0000
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Is this the way free market capitalism works now? Fewer and fewer
> choices? The last behemoth eating its last competitor and then
> deciding that product is not profitable enough so nobody has a
> camera? Seems like it used to work the other way round. What changed?

I'd say uncontrollable greed on the supply side and an ever increasing herd
mentality in the consuming sector might play some part.

Anyway, although disappointed by the apparent lack of a new Oly DSLR, I'm not
ready to drive off a cliff or slash my wrists.  I'm quite well satisfied with
the E-1 and, being a reasonably competent photographer accoutred with a proper
array of lenses and other doo-dads who seldom finds it necessary to crop
extensively and has no printing paper larger than 11.7x16.5 inches, I find 5MP
sufficient for my use 97.9% of the time.  Barring some different, more happy
news from Olympus, I now probably will add a 330, mainly for macro purposes,
and live, if not happily ever after, at least another year or so before donning
a disguise or hiding in shame to avoid the derision of the hyperpixelated Canon
and Nikon herd.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from