[OM] Re: OlympusUSA

Subject: [OM] Re: OlympusUSA
From: "Daniel Sepke" <dan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 10:47:20 -0500
Ali,

As it stands there are no provisions for a brand holder to report this
specific situations (use of brand names in ID's). Nor are there any rules in
eBay's TOS to stop people from registering an ID using a brand name. There
is a substantial system called VeRO for rights owners to have listings
removed, either due to brand name misuse or unauthorized copy merchandise.

Having in the past sent a note to the official Olympus ID as well as
attempted to notify eBay of the situation there appears little desire to
remove the problem of brand name misuse of this type. The response I got
from the actual Olympus ID was dismissive to the point of rudeness. I
personally doubt that anyone beyond the individual that runs the eBay sales
at Olympus is really aware of this particular situation. The critical point
I suspect is that in his listings Alex does not claim to be Olympus in the
listing text, though he does not say he isn't either.

Dan S.