[OM] (OM) OT Yosemite Park

Subject: [OM] (OM) OT Yosemite Park
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:03:32 +1300
Hi all

Another aspect of the Yosemite photos in that book by Ansel Adams that I
mentioned, is that many of the shots were taken away above the valley floor.

Classic Adams sites such as Half Dome, El Capitan etc are placed in
perspective in relation to the surrounding landscape, and surprise, surprise,
with the slight exception of Half Dome, they hardly poke above the general
level.

The huge landscape above is characterised by extreme barren-ness. Smooth
rock surfaces and no soil..  I do not know the geological background, or the
rock types, but I'd take a guess at the rock being something very hard such
as granite, (but some columnar rock sites give the lie to that assertion) so
that an extremely long time is needed for soil to form through normal erosion
processes.   Secondly, if looks as though the area was covered by a moving
ice sheet within maybe the last 50,000 years, and anything not araldited into
place was shifted a long way..

A hostile environment up there, most times, I'd guess.

Brian