[OM] Re: using 35mm lense with 4/3 dlsr

Subject: [OM] Re: using 35mm lense with 4/3 dlsr
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 08:37:26 -0800 (PST)
> Joel Wilcox wrote:
> > Of my OM-Zuikos, the 50/3.5 is terrific on the E-1.

The ability to continue to use some of my old Zuikos on the E-1
is one primary reason why I'll stick it out with Olympus. I'm
positive that I'll add an odd piece of DZ glass here and there,
but probably not until they are a bit more affordable on the
used market.  But for crying out loud, WHEN will they start to
drop in price?????  For a system as horribly inferior, you'd
think that the prices would be in the hopper.  But "nooooooo".

For the record, I'll state that some of my ancient Silvernosed
Zuikos on the 5MP E-1, which admittably isn't the sharpest tack
in the DSLR world, easily outresolves the anti-aliasing filter.
I absolutely hit the wall in sharpness with the 35/2.8, 50/3.5
and 100/2.8.  The 200/4, is also remarkable and the 300/4.5 just
cremates the E-1.  In otherwords, these above mentioned lenses
are sharper than the E-1.

There is also the mysterious "non-spec" characteristics of
lenses that come out too.  Some of the old lenses (notably the
35/2.8 and the 100/2.8) have an undescribable "feel" to the
images that just isn't there with modern lenses.  I don't want
to call it "painterly" (the new buzzword), but there is a 3D
quality and bold gentleness to the images that transends
specifications.  I just sent a 20x24 to a fellow listmember that
illustrates this.  Maybe he can describe it from the eyes of the
non-biased observer. (the other copy was sold to somebody who is
hanging it in the same room as three Salvador Dalis and two
other paintings from noteworthy artists! I drool over one of the
Dali's every time I'm in their house)

I've "made my bed" with Olympus and I'll stick with it.  Sure,
there are other systems out there that are better in so many
ways, but there is just one system that is "right" for me.  I'm
waiting for the E-300's to drop down in price enough that I can
pick up one for a song to get a higher pixel count.  Maybe that
will tide me over until the new E-x is ready.  Yes, I have every
intention of getting the E-x as soon as I can--the proceeds of
the darkroom is earmarked for that.

There's just something about the Olympus and old Zuikos that is
"different". Some people fight it while others, like me, embrace
it.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com