[OM] Re: SanDisk Extreme III performance, was: Re: CF card prices

Subject: [OM] Re: SanDisk Extreme III performance, was: Re: CF card prices
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:59:30 -0500
A most interesting result.  dpreview's tests on the 20D showed the 1GB
Ultra II at 5434 KB/sec.  If anything, I would expect your 2GB card to
at least equal the speed of the 1GB card used by dpreview.

So, how come the E-1 only gets 3570 KB/sec from the Ultra II (also close
to dpreview's E-1 test) while it's able to run at 4998 KB/sec with the
Extreme III?  If these CF cards were physical drives I'd be looking at
things like head motion and rotational delays to explain the
differences.  There must be things about CF card performance that I
simply do not understand.  Anybody know?

Chuck Norcutt