[OM] Re: Digital B&W, another attempt

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital B&W, another attempt
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:30:45 -0800 (PST)
Winsor wrote:
> There are Photoshop plugins that let you add specific grain
> patterns.  One is Grain Surgery.

I've checked it out and found that the "look" is too predictable
and not quite "there".  Close, very close, though.  I'm seeking
something uniquely my own.

> Convert to Black and White Pro looks to be excellent converter
> that  allows easy alteration of tonality with just a slider.

It does do very well. It's a very easy way to get 90% of the way
there without understanding the mechanics behind the process.
Most people don't understand the nuances between films,
developers and papers to comprehend how to achieve an end result
before pressing the shutter release.  I'm finding that I've got
to shoot the image with a very radical exposure as compared to
standard color work.  In reality, the "Zone System" is more
applicable today than it has been for 50 years. Digital cameras
have capture characteristics not unlike the old thick-emulsioned
films two generations ago.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com