[OM] Re: [OT] Digital Shutter Lag

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Digital Shutter Lag
From: Mike Lees <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:12:43 +0000
Jamie,

I have found the same with all the digicams I have used. I used a
friend's Olympus digicam recently and I'm sure half the shutter lag was
due to the amount of time it spent with red-eye reducing pre-flashes! I
used a Sony last bonfire night for taking pics of the fireworks (it had
a firework mode - goodness knows what it did) and by chance I ended up
with some reasonable shots since it was almost as difficult to predict
where and when the next firework would be, as it was to predict when the
shutter would fire! I took my C-2100UZ to an air show and after a few
shots of empty sky, resorted to my 4Ti/300mm f4.5.

Going from a 4ti to an auto-focus digital SLR was a concern. I
eventually went for the 350D which (like most newer DSLRs) is as fast as
makes no difference. I have taken some fantastic candid shots that would
have certainly been missed had I been using a digicam. My kids have a
habit of grinning madly whenever a camera is pointed in their direction.
My best shots of them are taken in the fraction of a second before it
has registered what is happening.

Mike.