[OM] Re: Now is that a sweet camera or what?

Subject: [OM] Re: Now is that a sweet camera or what?
From: Peter Leyssens <peterleyssens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:59:31 +0100
Chuck,

Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> A really high res EVF would be much better than an optical viewfinder.

I very much doubt it would be close in terms of comfort.  I constantly
change the brightness/contrast settings of my computer screen: the best
way is to have it similar to the brightness/contrast of the background.
  With a regular viewfinder, this is not necessary, because what you see
is just what is there gone through some glass & reflected on a few
mirrors.  I don't see any way that an EVF could be designed to be as
comfortable: even my 19" 1280x1024 screen that got quite good reviews
(BenQ FP937s+) has a hard time showing me a comfortable *and* high
quality image when the surrounding light is dim, or bright.  Last thing
I want to do is to have squint every time I look into the camera or take
my eye away from it.

Second, it uses battery power.  And I would need to power it on each
time, whereas I can peer through an optical viewfinder to compose or to
check how it would look in a frame, without switching on the camera.

> When used with a real-time, interline sensor it can be amplified to show
> you exactly what the exposure will look like as you change the exposure
> settings.  As the light level gets extremely low where it becomes hard
> to maintain color information it can also be switched to B&W mode and
> amplified more so you can still see the image.

Again, I disagree.  You would need to have a very impressive screen in
order to show all the dynamic range of what the CCD/MOS can capture.  I
don't believe any EVF or live preview on LCD can come close to the
WYSIWYG of a good optical viewfinder.  And anyway, in difficult light
conditions, which seems to be what you're referring to, it's no issue at
all: take a few pictures and sort it out afterwards.  I do it that way
with slides, and with digital the cost is no issue at all, so all the
more reason to do it this way.  No way I'll want LCDs to come between me
and what I take pictures of.

I am personally not very interested in the E-330, it just adds a few
gadgets and that's about it.  And frankly, I don't even think the new
features are that well thought out (all the constraints of the 2 preview
modes ?) Just more gadget bloat.  Hurray.

There's one exception: that MOS sensor...  I can't wait to read reviews
about it.  They claim it has more dynamic range and less noise, which
would be *good*.  If an E-3 comes out with this 7.5mp MOS sensor and it
delivers on that claim, and it offers the same colour quality of the
E-1, then I'll hand over the cash and get a 14-35 to match it.  Until
then, it's OM-4T and 28/2.8+50/1.4+90/2.0

Peter.