[OM] Re: next E-x expectations

Subject: [OM] Re: next E-x expectations
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 04:01:10 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>It doesn't have to be an SLR but if it is an SLR, by definition, it
>requires a mirror of some sort.  We started down this path assuming a
>camera with an optical viewfinder but some sort of real-time histogram
>feature.

If that's all you want, the answer may be quite simple. A mirror and
sensor design similar to the OM-4 can capture the histogram data. Heck,
even cells reading the focus screen image, ala OM-1 should do the job.
That would also get away from the viewfinder light loss from a full area
partially silvered mirror. I think this is what many DSLRs do anyway, as
they provide dark covers for the viewfinder.

The data can be presented using a monochrome clear LCD with its display
layer right next to the top of the focus screen. It could display the
histogram and also be used for things like grids.

I thought you were looking for an LCD image display on the back of the
body. That's trickier.

Just getting a live histogram in the viewfinder would be a big help for
me. I hate to admit it, but I've been using the F10 in spot mode for
things like landscapes by simply getting the LCD to look right by moving
the frame, freezing the exposure and focus with a half press, reframing
and shooting. The LCD doesn't display the full brightness range, but
with practice, it works really well and is very simple. But when I go
back to the DSLR, it takes a moment or three to remember that what I see
in the viewfinder is unrelated to how it will be recorded. A live
histogram superimposed on the view would both remind me of what I'm
doing (DOH!) and provide a means to judge the exposure and adjust if
necessary. Chimping is fine for some subjects, but too often the moment
is then past.

Moose