[OM] Re: next E-x expectations

Subject: [OM] Re: next E-x expectations
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:20:21 -0600
On 1/25/06, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>
> >It doesn't have to be an SLR but if it is an SLR, by definition, it
> >requires a mirror of some sort.  We started down this path assuming a
> >camera with an optical viewfinder but some sort of real-time histogram
> >feature.
> >

> If that's all you want, the answer may be quite simple. A mirror and
> sensor design similar to the OM-4 can capture the histogram data. Heck,
> even cells reading the focus screen image, ala OM-1 should do the job.
> That would also get away from the viewfinder light loss from a full area
> partially silvered mirror. I think this is what many DSLRs do anyway, as
> they provide dark covers for the viewfinder.
>
> The data can be presented using a monochrome clear LCD with its display
> layer right next to the top of the focus screen. It could display the
> histogram and also be used for things like grids.
>
> I thought you were looking for an LCD image display on the back of the
> body. That's trickier.
>
> Just getting a live histogram in the viewfinder would be a big help for
> me. I hate to admit it, but I've been using the F10 in spot mode for
> things like landscapes by simply getting the LCD to look right by moving
> the frame, freezing the exposure and focus with a half press, reframing
> and shooting. The LCD doesn't display the full brightness range, but
> with practice, it works really well and is very simple. But when I go
> back to the DSLR, it takes a moment or three to remember that what I see
> in the viewfinder is unrelated to how it will be recorded. A live
> histogram superimposed on the view would both remind me of what I'm
> doing (DOH!) and provide a means to judge the exposure and adjust if
> necessary. Chimping is fine for some subjects, but too often the moment
> is then past.
>
> Moose

When I switch from the C8080 back to the E-1, I am disheartened for a
period of time.  The C8080 of course provides both a histogram and the
balance correction to the EVF display in the viewfinder.

I am going to get around to re-programming the AEL on the E-1 to fix
focus one of these days.  That would at least be a use for it, as I
never otherwise use it on the E-1.  On the C8080 it is rarely the case
that I don't use it in conjunction with the histogram.

Joel W.