[OM] Re: next E-x expectations

Subject: [OM] Re: next E-x expectations
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:01:36 -0800 (PST)
> I expect:
> - Probably more than 10MP, I even expect between 12 and 16.
> - Faster AF, even at low light.
> - Less noise or maximum same as E-1

I'm envisioning a 12-16MP sensor with "pixel grouping". Unlike
the D2X's high-speed crop mode, what this does is group pixel
sites in fours and does an additive process to achieve greater
sensitivity. Also, if you take the group of four, you could have
an entire GRGB array identified as a single pixel which would
possibly give a greater apparant resolution than the "effective
4MP" as the AA filter is effectively cut by a 1/3. This would be
handled directly by the sensor and the support chip. Of course,
switch the high-speed mode off and you have all gazillion
pixels.

> - some sort of Anti Shake (I think shifting the entire sensor
> is more feasible than pixel shifting on the sensor)

I think it's going to be electronic IS. Using some form of
interleaving. Olympus has been building brick-outhouses with the
E-series, and I can't imagine that they'd put anything into the
camera that would be a mechanical problem.

> - Same build quality as the E-1
> - Probably same body size as E-1 to keep all accesoirs (even
> booster/grip) interchangeable.

Seriously doubt they'll keep the booster/grip compatible. I hope
they don't screw up the ergonomics and controls, but with the
exception of the OM series, they've "redesigned" almost every
camera ever since.

> If Olympus continues this tradition of first introducing
> someting out of the
> beaten path, followed by the evolution of that design I think
> I might not be too far off.

Olympus is the biggest risk taker of all the camera makers.
Innovative and original design is a hallmark. Instead of
incremental improvements to the same old box, they invent new
boxes.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com