[OM] Re: Zuiko 300mm on E question

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 300mm on E question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:57:53 -0800
oly-zooko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>When using the Zuiko 300mm Lens on an E-series camera w/ the adapter - does it
>in fact
>become a 600mm?

Well, no, it's still 300mm focal length. However, if you enlarge images
from it used on a 4/3 system camerat to the same size as images from it
used on a 35mm camera, they will appear to be magnified by 2x. Another
way of putting it would be that the angle of view on an E-series is
roughly half (considering the different aspect ratios) that of it on an OM.

Had you asked "does it in fact become the equivalent of a 600 mm lens on
an E-series?", I would have been able to simply answer "Yes".

>Isnt that overkill when taking wildlife shots

Not in the least. Depends on the wildlife, of course, how big it is and
how far away it is. Wildlife photogs often use longer effective fls than
that.

>or photos at a zoo?

Dunno. I haven't done that in many years. However, for a tele hound like
me, I'm sure it would be useful. It's all a matter of what you like to
shoot. I use a 300 mm max zoom on my 1.6x factor 300D, which is 480mm
eq., and not infrequently want something longer.

>What would you suggest for something equivalent to 300mm (when used on an OM)
>for an E-series with the adapter?

The only exact eq. would be the 75-150 zoom at its long end. A 135,
either f3.5 or f2.8 would be close, at 270mm eq., and they are
relatively small and light. The 180/2.8 would also be close, at 360mm
eq. If I didn't want to be carrying the 300/4.5 around, I'd be carrying
a 200mm.

I think you need the DZ 50-200. :-)

Moose