[OM] Re: ZD 8mm fisheye

Subject: [OM] Re: ZD 8mm fisheye
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:06:19 -0800
Komtanoo Pinpimai wrote:

>http://image.xitek.com/photo/200512/1393/139317/139317_1135703164.jpg
>http://image.xitek.com/photo/200512/1393/139317/139317_1135695236.jpg
>
>the center seems to be brighter and more colorful, are they
>photoshopped ? or the fisheye can produce these kinds of result ?

All super wide lenses produce images that are darker at edges and
corners than in the center. It's a consequence of the physics of light,
the details of which I used to understand. It's worse wide open and
usually disappears by mid aperture, maybe f8 or so, depending on the
particular lens.

I know ZD lenses are supposed to pass on info about their vignetting
characteristics to the camera and into the RAW files. It can then be
corrected in one or another or both of the Oly RAW apps. Maybe in other
RAW processors too?? It can also simply be corrected in a good image
editor, using one's eyes and a radial gradiant, rather than info from
the lens.

Moose