[OM] Re: Negatives question (Chris' email workflow interruption enclosed

Subject: [OM] Re: Negatives question (Chris' email workflow interruption enclosed)
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 07:00:19 -0800 (PST)
> One: How do you folks store your negatives?

http://www.printfile.com

I use the 3-ring binder sheets but have them stored in hanging
folders in a multi-drawer file cabinet. The slides are all
organized by category, and the negatives pretty much follow this
scheme too.  But I've got about 100 sheets that don't fall into
any one category and they're waiting for being cateloged by
computer.

> Two:  for people who work digitally, how do you get the film
> processed?

Color print film I have processed at Wal-mart for $1.00 per
roll. No prints, no scans. I sleeve it myself and scan what I
want.  Black and white, I process myself. For proofing, I've
started cheating. I place the slide sheet onto a sheet of white
paper and set it on the face of an upturned softbox. Take my
digital camera and take a picture of the entire sheet.  Load the
image into the computer, invert, adjust the levels and you have
in instant contact sheet. The white sheet of paper is needed to
prevent the pattern of the nylon softbox material from affecting
the image and to knock the flash exposure down.

> is there any big difference between taking
> rolls to a one-hour lab vs. a pro shop?

For Portra films, yes.  For general consumer films, no.  Most
(nearly all) minilab machines don't adequately wash the film
long enough and not all of the dye has cleared.

> Three:  Speaking of scanning, what is the best way to
> physically remove dust from the negative?  I don't have the
> spousal blessing to get a high end scanner, so mine doesn't
> have any ICE or similar dust removal.

Get an anti-static brush. Use it on the negative IMMEDIATELY
after removing it from the sleeve.  The negative is like a
magnet.  I also use, albiet very carefully, anti-static cloths.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com