[OM] Negatives question

Subject: [OM] Negatives question
From: "Matthew Bristol" <bristolm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 07:59:42 -0600
As I said in an earlier post, I'm new to this whole film thing, having
grown up a digi-guy.  I had a couple of questions about negatives and
scanning.

One: How do you folks store your negatives?  I've seen a few options out
there, and I'm wondering if anyone has any good tips.  Right now I'm
thinking of placing them in a 3-ring bind with negative sheet
protectors, and including a contact sheet for each roll.

Two:  for people who work digitally, how do you get the film processed?
Right now, I'm getting the film developed only 9no prints) and then
ordering a CD as well, so I don't have to scan everything in to review
the shots.  I can then just scan hi-res the ones I really liked.  If I'm
not getting prints made, is there any big difference between taking
rolls to a one-hour lab vs. a pro shop?

Three:  Speaking of scanning, what is the best way to physically remove
dust from the negative?  I don't have the spousal blessing to get a high
end scanner, so mine doesn't have any ICE or similar dust removal.

Four:  My scanner lists its resolution as 3200x6400 dpi (Epson
Perfection 3490).  The resolution options when I scan are listed up to
128000 dpi.  I understand this is an interpolated resolution, but what
is the highest true resolution I can scan at?  3200 or 6400 dpi?

Here are a couple of my first shots.  I haven't had a chance yet to do
all the requisite dust removal and such.  I'm too busy taking pictures
to spend much time working with the ones I already have taken!

http://nateandmatt.com/uploaded_images/qbert-web-734060.jpg

This is a shot of my cockatiel.  To get him in a good pose I got him
excited by tapping my hand right in front of him.  Unfortunately, when
he sticks his wings out like that, they vibrate quickly.  I have just a
basic flash that would give horrid result that close, so room lighting
was my only option.  To get around the blurry wings, I went with a
narrow DOF to focus only his head sharply and make the whole blurry
wings thing look intentional.

http://nateandmatt.com/uploaded_images/hunter-web-740200.jpg

This is a close up of the dog.  I wanted to capture his eyes, which can
be very expressive and soulful.  An eye-booger was PS'd out.

Any hints for what I should have done differently to better compose and
execute these shots?
This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that
is confidential, subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you are
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
copying or distribution of this message or files associated with the message
are strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, kindly
notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your
computer