[OM] Re: Q: Split Filters with the E-system

Subject: [OM] Re: Q: Split Filters with the E-system
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 10:20:24 +0800
With digital I have never use graduated ND filters, you can always do it
digitally. I only shot RAW, depends on the scene, just expose for the
highlight or -1 stop. Generate two images from the same RAW file, one
develops for the foreground and the other for the background, use graduated
selection mask from PS and merges the two images.

It is for the case where you cannot control the subject and background,
using any filter on the field is slow and time consuming. Any improper use
may damage the image and not easy to correct it back in PS later.

Generally it may be better to expose it "right" during shooting but I will
not rely on in-camera histogram to expose it right, the best way is always
an incident meter, it will not fool by the background.

I will not intentionally over expose an image to get better noise but when
you run out of f-stops this is an option. Stop down too much will surely
affect the resolution of an image. Of course the best way is to us a ND
filter.

Talking about noise, I have gradually changed my default exposure setting,
with -1 on 10D to -1/3 on E-1 and +/-0 with E-300. A nosier camera does
require more attention on exposure.

C.H.Ling