[OM] Re: Q: Split Filters with the E-system

Subject: [OM] Re: Q: Split Filters with the E-system
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:47:07 -0800 (PST)
Joel wrote:
> Has anyone used graduated ND (split) filters with their
> E-system camera and lenses?

I'm finding that filters in front of the lens messes up the WB
as well as the metering system. The camera is definitely doing
some matrix-metering utilizing color-temperature as well as true
EV values. (my Minolta A1 takes it to another level, though).

However, I'm also finding that I have to do less post-processing
with the filtered shots.  I really don't like doing image
stacking and am trying to get my shots correct before pressing
the shutter release.

Part of that is an increased use of the handheld meter. As
useful as the histogram is, it's not totally accurate and is
calculated on the "thumbnail" image stored with the file. The
incident light meter is taking a lot of second guessing out of
my image capture.  It's actually refreshing to shoot in MANUAL
exposure mode and not chimp. When I'm steering based on the
histogram, I'm finding that my images just don't have the same
snap crackle and pop that they do when I manually meter the
scene.  Reminds me of the dark ages of film when everybody
customized the ISO settings of their film in order to gain some
superiority attitude over the scientists at Kodak and Fuji.
Isn't that exactly what histogram metering is?  Overriding
common sense?  Why do we overexpose the scene by two stops in
some worthless hope of reducing "noise"?  Shoot it right to
begin with and don't worry about the noise as the overall image
quality will be a little higher and you have more freedom with
saturation adjustments without blowing gamma.

There is nothing wrong with hauling split filters around when
you are doing serious work. Some old tools still have their
place.  You won't always be able to do multiple exposures.  In
fact, most scenes where you really wish you could stack images
you can't because of subject or camera motion.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com