[OM] Re: Days like this

Subject: [OM] Re: Days like this
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:13:37 -0800 (PST)
> Congrats!  Let us know if the customer appreciates it!
> Any chance we can get to see it?

Yeah, it'll most likely end up on my website for the portraits
page.  I'm reconstructing the site, so I'll let you know
whenever it's done. Customer already saw it on the computer.
The print blows away the computer image. Yes, the prints are
3Dish--even the billfolds.

I'm done trying to print anything other than proofs on my
inkjet.  The quality difference is night and day better. Also,
the time saved is incredible.  I never realized how much time I
was wasting trying to do the printing myself.  Whatever cost
savings I was seeing was more than erased by the time
investment. The selection/ordering software is very fast, easy
and allows me to "upload" the pictures to the lab in one easy
step. I had the ordering software up on my laptop in front of
the customer and we selected which prints to do, what sizes and
quantities along with any value-adds (like surface
modifications, mounting, etc). Once the customer left, I clicked
on each photo, pressed the "Photoshop" button (which opened up
the image in Photoshop), edited it and saved. Went onto the next
image, repeat.  When done with the editing, I just hit upload.
Never had to revisit quantities or anything.  By the end of the
next business day the photos are fed-ex'ing their way to me. I
also have the option of burning the images to CD and mailing it
to the lab. This saves some money as they have special pricing
for that, but adds to the turnaround time.  It is a nice option,
though, for wedding proof books or event photography where I'd
have to upload hundreds of photos.

Having worked in a prolab years ago and having dealt with them
for many years, I've finally found "satisfaction". Prices are a
little higher, but I'm able to cut my order processing time by
75%. It's far less expensive than hiring an office assistant and
buying/feeding an Epson printer.

I hate to say it, but the days of Film were much easier for the
pro portrait/event/wedding photographer.  I'm finally
experiencing that same (but only better) efficiency with digital
that I had with film.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com