[OM] Re: Macrophotography questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Macrophotography questions
From: "tOM Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:10:04 -0500
Avoid the +1 +2 etc. closeup lenses unless they are the
expensive colour corrected ones.

Try your lenses out. Are they sharp enough at macro? Do they
let you get close enough?

A bellows gives you max flexibility. For very-closeups, use a
shorter focal length lens like the 50mm macro, or the Olympus
38mm or 20mm macro lenses. You can also reverse your 50mm
lens for sharper results. You can also consider using enlarger
lenses for closeup work.

One important advantage of the OM2n is the through-the-lens
exposure control, even with flash. You do have to use a
"dedicated" flash, like the T32. Flash is very useful when not
using a tripod. You will likely have to use some translucent
material to cut the power and spread the flash light in front of the
lens for macro shots, eg, cut the top off a big white bleach bottle
and cut a hole in the bottom for the lens. Experiment.

There is always a tradeoff between depth of focus and
sharpness.  Stopping way down can lead to loss of sharpness.

For live flowers, you may want to consider a special tripod like
the Benbo (http://www.madsens.com.au/new/oth/ben/info.htm) or
similar system that allows you to move the camera away from
the tripod legs. Of course, this adds instability and vibrations...

More advice:
http://www.geocities.com/orchidsnzpaph/photos.htm

tOM

> ----Original Message Follows----
> From: "Matthew Bristol" <bristolm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I recently inherited a used OM-2n and a set of lenses .  Included are a
> Zuiko 50mm, a Vivitar 80-200mm w/ macro, and a Makita 20-80mm w/macro
> (I'm not sure about that last one, I'm writing this from work w/o the
> lens in front of me and I'm completely new to SLR's).
>
> snip
>
> I have done a bunch of macrophotography with digital point and shoots.
> I grow orchids, and they tend to be the subject of most of my shots.  I
> like shots of individual flowers, which range in size from ~2cm and up,
> and then I also enjoy taking extreme close-up shots of internal
> structures.  Here are some examples of shots I've done before:
> I would like to be able to do similar shots with my new Olympus.  What
> accessories would you most recommend to get me started?  I've seen
> accessories like the bellows, and would like to get one eventually, but
> I am thinking of starting much smaller scale.  Also, can anyone
> recommend any good books for starting out in macrophotography with
> slr's?

---

          -- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur --
   ,__@         tOM Trottier, 758 Albert St,
 _-\_<,         Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        N45.412 W75.714 +1 613 860-6633
                Abacurial Information Architecture
                            SETI stats

                This world, after all our science and
             sciences, is still a miracle; wonderful,
           inscrutable, magical and more, to whosoever
                will think of it. --Thomas Carlyle

-- Type: text/plain
-- Desc: Attachment information.

-- Type: Application/Octet-stream