[OM] Re: Macrophotography questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Macrophotography questions
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:11:51 -0800
I'll second the point that picking up a copy of John Shaw's Closeups in
Nature will be richly rewarding.

Other Macro Options:

1. Pickup the Vivitar 2x Macro adapter.  It's a doubler with a variable
small extension tube.  A 50mm lens will get to 1:1 and with a greater
distance from the subject than the 50 f3.5 / 25mm tube.  And yes I know it
will softer but it is still a pretty good combo.  And you can use this on
other lenses as well.

2. The Kiron 105mm goes to 1:1 without any adapter.  It's SHARP.

3. A high quality dual element closeup filter (Canon 500D / 250D, Nikon 3T,
4T, 5T, 6T) on a good zoom is a very nice setup.  Again not razor sharp but
it does give you versatility.  I use a Canon 500D on a Tokina 100-300.

Mr. Shaw points out that one of the key things in macro is working distance.

Jay

Hand me my costume
Please won't you pass me my mask
I have appointments I must keep with my past.

Bill Nelson - Beauty Secrets