[OM] Re: Big Epson printers, was: Re: New E?

Subject: [OM] Re: Big Epson printers, was: Re: New E?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 06:24:04 -0500
I'm sure this is probably old news for those of you who have actually
considered buying one of the big Epson printers but I have a friend who
has a model 4000 (???) which he bought used.  I'm very unsure of the
model number except that it does 24" wide roll paper and sits on it's
own stand.

He had hoped to be able to do black & white (using special gray scale
inks) as well as color but it has proven to be totally impractical to
change out the inks.  The ink is fed from the cartridges to the print
heads in plastic tubes that are a couple of feet long.  These tubes are
so long that they hold about $200 worth of ink.  Changing from color to
B&W or vice-versa wastes the amount of ink that's in the tubes.  $200 to
make an ink change was something he had not counted on.  The printer
does very fine work but is now used for color only.

Chuck Norcutt