[OM] Re: Homepage picture update

Subject: [OM] Re: Homepage picture update
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:10:51 -0800 (PST)
Joel wrote:
> As far as the shot is concerned, all I can say
> is that it is a strange humility to envy someone else's photo
> made with your own lens.  Seems like it has something to do
> with you, but you can't take credit for any of it.

Aw Shucks.  Thanks.  Interesting analysis.

Actually, I'd suggest that these photos are a result of the
cumulative efforts and learning that happens whenever you get an
opportunity to shoot with other photographers. Three days
earlier I wouldn't have been able to shoot this picture. We shot
something like a couple thousand pictures between the two of us
and he pulled out some unbelievable shots which I just can't
believe were there.  I surely didn't see them.  It was
fascinating to see how similar we approached the images, but
visualized different results. Seeing Joel's pictures I really
learned to see things differently. He got compositions that I
never knew were possible. I believe that this is one of the
greatest benefits to workshops.  Expanding your own vision by
seeing the vision of others in given environment.

> Ken nearly converted me to a monopod.  He's got a fantastic
> workflow with that thing...

It does backfire in one aspect:  It's hard to perfect a shot
with a monopod.  With a tripod you can tweek and spend the extra
time to make the horizons level and study "eye-flow".  I like
the monopod for the ease of carrying and the instant
availability for a shot.  I get a lot more shots with the
monopod because of the quickness--I can stop, setup, shoot and
keep going in seconds.  No big ordeal.  I'm able to get a larger
variety of shots with the monopod than with a tripod.

For shooting wildlife--especially birds, a monopod is definitely
the way to go unless you're working from a blind.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com