[OM] Re: sad day for me

Subject: [OM] Re: sad day for me
From: "Daryl Hurley" <dhurley1@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:37:58 -0600

> It's about $13 Cdn. for a roll of 36 exposure here.
>
> Has anyone here had any luck with this homebrew E6 stuff?
> http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_main.php?cat_id=1002
> Or should I just resign myself to letting it go?
>
> Wayne

I used to process E-6 at home.  If you save up your film and spend an
evening processing it all at once while the chemistry is "fresh" you can
stretch the chemistry to cover a few more rolls than the spec. sheet lists.
I waited until I had at least 12 and usually 16 rolls (for a one quart kit)
to process before mixing up the chemicals.

I used a 4 roll stainless tank and kept the temperature stable by keeping
everything in a water-bath controlled by a fish tank heater.  The stainless
tank and reels were easier to control the temperature in than the plastic
tank.  Also, once you learn how, the stainless reels are much easier to
load, especially once they're wet!

It has been awhile, but I seem to remember there was a formula based on the
number of rolls processed to calculate the necessary time to extend various
stages of the process as the chemistry became depleted.

Not a great money saver, at least at that time, but fun, and when anyone
asks where you got it processed you can impress them with your skills by
saying "I did it myself".

Daryl Hurley
Topeka, KS