[OM] Re: sad day for me

Subject: [OM] Re: sad day for me
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 17:07:51 -0600
> I've never tried color developing since, as best I recall, the
> temperature control had to be within about 1/2 degree farenheit.
Chuck,

I've done E4 and E6, although not in quite a few years. I did it first in a
commerical studio, where we did 35, 120, 4x5 and 8x10 in old Kodak hard
rubber deep tanks. This was replenished chemistry, and we always ran control
strips, and tried very hard to control the temperature. (I would really like
to have one of those old kodak mercury process thermometers!) Later, at the
airplane factory, we had a Wing-Lynch machine, and did 35 and 120 with
one-shot chemistry, so control strips were rare.

Of the two, I prefered the deep tanks. The Wing-Lynch was a total piece of
crap, completely unreliable. I'm of the opinion that well-moitored
replenished chemistry is the only answer. I saw too many variations with the
one-shot chemistry, and there was no way to correct things. Unfortunately,
the deep tanks, which are readily available used at great prices, presume a
constant work load.

I know there are a lot of people that are perfectly happy with home color
processing, but from one who has a fair bit of experience with that stuff,
it's better left to the experts. With infrequent one-shot processing, the
first thing to go is consistency. For a lot of people, however, a shift of
15 points in whatever direction isn't that big a problem. Likewise, a half
stop shift in exposure. If your work doesn't require repeatability or
consistent color balance, home processing could do OK.

Bill Pearce