[OM] Re: Computer for Photoshop advice please

Subject: [OM] Re: Computer for Photoshop advice please
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 12:44:06 -0800
Willie Wonka wrote:

>  Mike,
>I never understood if you like doing this just because you like it, or for
>financial reasons.  If it were the first, from what I see, I think you will
>have excessive amount of power.

Disagree. I don't know what you do with PS. I often work with 120-130mb
files from 4000 dpi scans of 35mm film and I like to use layers when
making adjustments. Getting a 300mb SATA drive with big buffer as drive
3,  putting a big cache on it and another cache on drive 2, with the
Windoze cache on the boot drive finally brought long waits gazing at the
drive light under control. Still, with 2gb of RAM and a 2.8ghz Pentium
4, processing many kinds of adjustments to these files pins the CPU at
100% for too long. There is so far simply no such thing as too much
power for PS IMHO.

>If you are doing it for financial reasons...it is not worth it.  You won't
>save more than $50 if that and will spend countless hours of troubleshooting
>compatibility issues.

Agree

>Any $300 machine from DELL will do fine with PS.

See above.

Moose