[OM] Re: Computer for Photoshop advice please

Subject: [OM] Re: Computer for Photoshop advice please
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 19:37:00 -0800
Mike wrote:

>I'm going to put together a computer after the holidays and am looking
>for input and advice............
>
>So what do y'all think? Is this going to burn through those 16bit 150mg
>scans?  Or what would you get?  Budget is an issue as I'd also like to
>get a new monitor

I've bought my last couple of systems from TigerDirect.com, both made by
Systemax. I think the difference between doing this and separately
buying and putting together all the bits is generally either a push or
slightly cheaper for the assembled system, esp. if getting a new OS. The
other thing is that one then has only one vendor to deal with if
something doesn't work. Systemax has real support.

Another factor for me is the time and effort involved in putting
together a system from scratch. I used to build anything I could myself,
even creating a car radio out of various bits including the AM/FM front
end from a Heathkit stereo tuner, a home built amp, etc. Worked really
well too. Now that I have more free time, I find that I just don't get
the enjoyment from that that I did when I was younger. It's all easier
now with so much standardization, plug and play, etc. But I still prefer
something that I can just plug in and start using, especially if the
price is about the same.

When I buy a new system, I like to keep the old one running for a
considerable overlap period. So I don't want to use crucial basic bits
of the old to make the new. If I bought new today, I think the only
thing that would migrate would be the 300gb SATA drive I recently added
for image storage.

Moose