[OM] Re: Computer for Photoshop advice please

Subject: [OM] Re: Computer for Photoshop advice please
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:23:28 -0400
On 12/20/05, Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm going to put together a computer after the holidays and am looking
> for input and advice. I want to get a good enough motherboard so it will
> last awhile. Looking at the Asus A8N 32 SLI  motherboard with an AMD
> Athlon 64 4400 dual core cpu which is the cheapest with 1mb cache. Plus
> add as much memory as I can afford, at least 2gb, maybe 4. I'll use my
> old video card ATI Radeon 7500 64mg, SCSI card, DVD player and newest
> hard drive. Plus I'll add a new hard drive. One thing I don't want to
> skimp on is the power supply but know next to nothing about them. What's
> a good quality one? I'll probably get a new case as well. I'm planning
> to put this old box out to pasture in the garage, add a couple new hard
> drives and use it for backup.

Just a comment on the motherboard and video card. That Asus
motherboard uses PCI express and I'm pretty sure that your video card
is an AGP card. So you'll definitely want to double check that before
buying since you don't want to get stuck having to buy a new video
card from the sound of things.

You also might want to consider not getting the SLI motherboard even
if you do have a PCI Express video card. Unless you plan on running 2
video cards together for gaming performance I wouldn't bother paying
the extra money for an SLI motherboard. You can probably get another
version of the same motherboard without SLI for less money.