[OM] Re: Tamron 180 SP, was: Zoom Lens for OM system

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamron 180 SP, was: Zoom Lens for OM system
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 13:57:21 -0800
The Zuiko 300/4.5 is a good telephoto for most things but is difficult to
hand hold with slow film. It isn't as fast but can still give a nice out of
focus background. With a little patience you can get a nice one for about
$200.

The 180 is fairly easy to hand hold which is probably part of its appeal. (I
normally use a tripod with all of my lenses.)

The fast long telephotos are not where Olympus shines for value. The very
heavy lenses 180/2, 250/2 & 350/2.8 have very good ratings but they are
expensive and pretty much a tripod lens. The fast Tamron SP lenses 180/2.5,
300/2.8, 400/4 and  80-200/2.8  are pretty hard to beat unless you spend a
lot of money.

I've seen the Tamron 180/2.5 sell for less than $200 but very infrequently.
I don't think I've ever seen the Zuiko 180/2.8 sell for less than $300+.

Good luck,
-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: bartjew@xxxxxxxxx

The thing is that I'd like to have a shot at some more telephotgraphy, but I
honestly don't know if it is my game. Therefore I am not too eager in
investing
around $500 in something I might not like, and Oh BTW is claimed to be
not as good as it should.

Oh well, perhaps I should lie still, be patient and hope that either of the
itches
(fast 180 and Big Glass Zuiko) wear off.

snip

Sigh.
Bart