[OM] Re: Tamron 180 SP, was: Zoom Lens for OM system

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamron 180 SP, was: Zoom Lens for OM system
From: bartjew@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 02:08:11 +0100
Howdy!

Personally I'm more of a prime-guy, and I'm browsing for something 180mm-ish.
The archives've taught me the Zuiko 180/2.8 is best avoided due to its
chromatic aberation, but there is a good Tamron SP alternative for it.

Would that be the one sold in e*ay 7567719860? What would (or should?)  be
a going price for it?

Thanks for your intel!

Bart

Citeren Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Skip Williams wrote:
>
> >Michael,
> >
> >The Tamron and Tokina 80-200/2.8's are the best mid-to-long zooms ever
> made for the OM System.
> >
> Yup!
>
> >They're very similar in overall build, quality, and weight.
> >
> Yup, Yup, Nope. Tamron weighs 30% more than Tokina. Real world weight of
> lenses with tripod mount, hood, adaptall on my digital scale. 1510 gr
> vs. 1160 gr. Quite noticeable when carrying.
>
> >But the Tokina's are much, much harder to find and more expensive.
> >
> Yup, not necessarily. My Tokina, in ex+ with hood and tripod mount was
> $165 off the 'Bay. The Tamron was well over twice as much. Of course, I
> may have overpaid for one and under for the other.
>
> >The superb Adaptall mount made the great Tamron SP line available to many
> manual focus bodies, including the OM's.
> >

> Oh, yeah! A wonderful design concept and some great lenses. Whether it
> was just the adaptall mount or other things as well, the Tamron SPs did
> tend to be heavier than the equivalent Tokinas AT-X designs.
>
> >Unless your backpacking such a lens, I'd highly recommend the Tamron.  I
> had one for about 15 years, bought new back in the very late 80's.  With
> it's superb resolution and brightness, I sold all the large, long Zuikos
> that I had in the range, which included the 200/4 and 180/2.8.  It's much
> better than either of those two lenses.
> >
> >The only Zuiko that I'd carry instead would be the 50-200, which is pricy
> now, and much slower.
> >

> Tamron to the rescue again, with the excellent 60-300/3.8-4.5, faster
> than the Zuiko at all equivalent fls, and Tokina with the 50-250/4-5.6,
> again, as fast or faster. And both of these have amazing macro
> capabilities. The Tamron to 1:1.55, closer than the Zuiko macros, and
> the Tokina to an even closer 1:1.4.
>
> Moose

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Nu 12 maanden gratis Live Eredivisievoetbal bij 20 Mb ADSL voor maar
EUR 39,95 per maand. Bestel op www.versatel.nl/voetbal