[OM] Re: some landscapes

Subject: [OM] Re: some landscapes
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 16:52:38 -0400

> Thanks Wayne.  I really like the photos of the houses, which look
> quite cosy.  I am sure that it is v.cold there, but what do they burn
> for fire fuel, cow dung?
>
> Chris

In some places they gather some scattered wood for fuel for cooking. In
other places they burn a sort of desert brush, a shrub that grows maybe 2
feet high, also used as fuel for cooking. It's just a bit better than
burning grass I'd say. In one area of the altiplano, they were burning dry
llama dung, which is small roundish pellets like sheep dung if I remember
correctly. I remembered one lady who was adding handfuls of llama pellets to
the fire under the pot and ingredients to the soup pot with the same hand. I
didn't notice her getting anything crossed up though.

I haven't been anywhere in the mountains where they burn anything for heat.
None of their houses are heated, and it does snow there in the higher
altitudes. They are definitely not what I'd call cosy, but they do look sort
of so in the pictures.

There were some men in the mountains in an area where there are no roads
that caught out in a snowstorm and died when we where there in October.

Here are shots taken in October that include some snow. The first has some
old Inca ruins (somewhat "repaired" by locals) in the foreground.
http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/920103/1/45816784

More distant snow, and maybe this one qualifies as another cow picture?
http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/920103/1/45817604

We were headed toward the area where you can see the snow. Nice road here;
it was one of the few places we travelled this time where there was a paved
road.
http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/920103/1/45818244

Wayne