[OM] Re: OT Mammatus clouds

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Mammatus clouds
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:16:49 +0000
Interesting Chuck; yes, in the bay west of MacDill (Tampa or
Hillsborough, I always mixed them up).  And my wife saw cars
overturned on Dale Mabry shortly afterwards.  The twister that I saw,
with several other pilots cowering in one of the squadron buildings
at MacDill, was only very small though ...

The mammatus clouds were not as regular as depicted on that website,
more ad hoc as it were.  It was the result of the massive instability
and the whole situation changed more rapidly than I have ever seen
before.  Any protrusion of cloud below the general cloudbase is an
indication of local instability, of course.

Chris
~~ >-)-
C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.