[OM] Re: Fungal Fisheye update was - Re: a nice heartwarming picture

Subject: [OM] Re: Fungal Fisheye update was - Re: a nice heartwarming picture
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 07:01:09 -0500

swisspace wrote:

> The reason I am asking though is the cream I used is quite thin
> and I wonder if I should use a thicker or more course version, but i
> suspect it's actually the skin that is doing the polishing with the
> creme just acting as a lubricant.

Ponds cream is thick enough that it will not flow.  Interesting theory
about just polishing the fungus off the glass.  I did use some of my
wife's cold cream (not Ponds) on one lens and the fungus came off very
easily and with no tell-tale signs that it had ever been there.  Hardly
any rubbing required.  That was about 4 years ago and there are no signs
of return either.

> what I would like to be sure of is that the fungus is dead (sio it
> doesn't get any worse), maybe left soaking in alchohol or acetone
> overnight, or maybe placed in the deep freeze for a couple of weeks like
> I saw them do with a stuffed bear on TV last night which was infested
> with "creatures"

The easiest way to kill fungus is with chlorine bleach.  Even a dilute
solution of bleach will do it.  What it does to lens coatings is a
question I can't answer.  I have long wondered whether using skin oil
may work well because of some anti-fungal agents in our skin oil.

Chuck Norcutt