[OM] Re: Photoshop RAW converter question (now RSE)

Subject: [OM] Re: Photoshop RAW converter question (now RSE)
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 18:42:21 -0800 (PST)
> Sounds like the converters you are comparing may be using
> different ideas about how to balance sharpening between
> luminance and chrominance.

Specific to the A1/A2 is a pattern noise which is partially
caused by a heterodyning effect. This pattern just about
completely disappeared in one sample image I was testing in RSE.

This would play in with C.H. Ling's assessment as to the quality
of the converter supplied by Minolta. That converter does much
better than the in-camera converter, but still generates
substantial color (chrominance) noise.  If I take that file and
pass it through Neat Image, I can get rid of most of the noise
with just the chrominance adjustment, keeping the luminance
noise reduction off.  With the RSE converted file, it's exactly
the opposite.  Very strange.

I do believe this may have relevance to the E-1 because the
noise pattern in High ISO settings is similar to that in my A1.
I might be able to apply some of the knowledge gained in the A1
to the E-1.

The really funny thing that is happening is I'm learning things
about conversions in RSE and Elements that I can then go back to
Viewer with and make those conversions even better.

AG

http://farechase.yahoo.com