[OM] Re: Photoshop RAW converter question (now RSE)

Subject: [OM] Re: Photoshop RAW converter question (now RSE)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 17:50:51 -0800
AG Schnozz wrote:

><BIG SNIP>
>Is this an improvement?  Well, for landscape images, I do
>believe so.  However, earlier in the evening, while I was still
>learning the ins and outs of the program and processed a couple
>wedding pictures.  The gain in texture details in fabric and
>hair was offset by a marked change in skintones. The change in
>the noise pattern from color to luminous caused a cadaver look
>to erupt from the skin.  Instead of a nice healthy pinkish glow,
>the skin turned more gray.  When viewed at 100%, an E-1 image
>(when converted in-camera or in Viewer/Studio) tends to have a
>colorful splotchy noise pattern that is "film like".  Seriously,
>take a close look at Portra films and you'll see the dye-clouds
>that give the same splotchy noise.  The RSE version seemed to
>lose that colorful splotchy look and replaces it with brightness
>noise instead.
>
>The only comparison I can think of is Ektachrome 400. The grain
>is very gritty, but not colored. However, Kodak gold 400 has
>colorful grain, but doesn't have the same gritty look.

I believe you are talking about Luminance noise, "gritty, but not
colored", vs. Chrominance noise, "colorful grain, but not gritty".

RAW conversion in CS1 for the 300D has a separate tab, "Detail", with
sliders (and default settings) for Sharpness (25), Luminance Smoothing
(0) and Color Noise Reduction (20). I don't really know what they do,
since I almost never adjust them except to turn them all off for
upsampling with FM's Resize Pro. I have no idea what options it has for
E-thingies.

NeatImage also has separate setting sliders for filter and reduction of
noise in the Luminance channel and Chrominance channels and a
(re)Sharpening slider for the Luminance channel.

Sounds like the converters you are comparing may be using different
ideas about how to balance sharpening between luminance and chrominance.
Perhaps taking an inage converted with all sharpening at the lowest
possible settings and playing with it in something like NeatImage would
give some further practical insight into what they are doing.

>Much more testing to be done. I'm hoping that this discussion
>sparks interest in other list-members to also do testing and
>contribute to the joint learning session which is the OM list.

Doin' what I can without an E-thingie. :-)

Moose