[OM] Re: [Semy OT] Sick of Assholes

Subject: [OM] Re: [Semy OT] Sick of Assholes
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 19:03:15 +0000
A simple reveal is not considered a threat in this state, nor in any of those
I'm likely to be found in, particularly if the "reveal" is incidental, like
when the wind blows one's jacket open or some such.  It's really just the
demonstrative equivalent of a verbal announcement of, "You, sir, should perhaps
be aware that I am armed."  Jerking open one's coat and putting a hand on the
piece, accompanied by menacing gestures, etc., might be considererd a threat,
but the circumstances and perceived provocation would control.  Anyway, in more
than 30 years in the criminal justice system, I've never heard of anybody being
busted for making it clear they were packing.  Can't say what might happen in
some of the more wussy states, but not in this neck of the woods.

A couple of years ago I was a witness to a two-car collison at a 4-way stop.
There were no personal injuries, but there was quite a bit of physical damage
to the vehicles.  As the law requires, since both vehicles were still drivable
and there were no injuries, they were moved from the intersection, meaning that
the account of what occurred, without an independent witness, was just going to
be a he-said, she-said swearing contest.  Like any good citizen, I remained on
the scene in order to give my information to the investigating officer, because
the "she said" part was correct, while the "he-said" asshole, who had run
through the stop sign in his big Cadillac Escalade, and his two "ASSociates"
were going to tell a different story.

Seeing that I intended to remain to give my account, these three came closer
and closer to me, making threatening remarks and hostile gestures, suggesting
that I might want to move on and tend to my own "f***in' bidness."  After
listening to about two verses of this song and dance, I slowly and deliberately
opened my windbreaker, gave them a good look at the Glock, and suggested in a
carefully modulated tone that they might consider not starting something they
couldn't finish.

They retreated with some haste and lots of muttering.  The police arrived
almost immediately, and I gave my account of the collision and of their
threats.  Guess who got arrested and who just hauled his Glock along on his
merry way.  And it wasn't even a cop who knew me.  :-)

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --