[OM] Re: EOS adapters etc

Subject: [OM] Re: EOS adapters etc
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 10:50:45 -0800
Mike Lees wrote:

>I really want to try my Auto Bellows with my 350d.

Looking at pictures of the 300 and 350, it appears they have the same
geometry around the lens mount and the overhang that holds the flash.
Last year I posted this response about the auto bellows and the 300D
based on direct experiment.:

> Has anyone who is using OM gear on their Canon 300D/10D/20D, etc
> actually tried to fit the Canon body with OM adapter onto the back of
> the OM bellows?

Yup

> This all has to do with whether the bellows and attachments such as
> the slide copier can be used with the Canon digital bodies.  I was
> just looking at the back of my bellows and it's not clear whether
> there is sufficient clearance for a larger body without contacting the
> standard directly below the mounting flange.

The problem with the 300D, and I would think, all others, is not
anything on the bellows body, as the mounting flange comes easily off
the bellows body. The bellows can then be mounted on the flange without
any twisting. The clearance problem is the big tab on the mounting
flange that is used both to turn it onto and off the camera body and as
the lens mount release. For this tab to clear the pop-up flash housing
and bayonet into the mount/adapter, at least a 12mm extension tube must
be already mounted on the camera or adapter. The Oly 14mm tube works
fine too, of course. The only significant consequence is that the
minimum extension of the bellows increases from 36mm to at least 48mm.
That may or may not
be a problem depending on the lens used and the application.

If the tab were cut down, the bellows would still not quite fit on a
300D. The back of the bellows body would still be blocked. It looks like
a 7mm tube might do it then, but I'm not modifying my bellows flange
to find out.  :-)

Moose