[OM] Re: Alien Bees lighting question (with Olympus equipment)

Subject: [OM] Re: Alien Bees lighting question (with Olympus equipment)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 06:45:28 -0500
Jeffrey Keller wrote:

> If I remember correctly both the Bee's standard light stands and umbrellas
> made poor impressions on at least one user. Thanks for the tip that the
> Photoflex umbrellas are well made.

I bought a Bees heavy duty light stand which is fine but, having just
bought a pair of these I would recommend these instead:
<http://cgi.ebay.com/13-TALL-PRO-HEAVY-DUTY-AIR-CUSHIONED-LIGHT-STANDS-NEW_W0QQitemZ7537726808QQcategoryZ30080QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem>

These are "Savage" brand from <http://www.jandkgroup.com/> who I'm sure
will also deal with you direct if you call the 800 number on this page.

The Savage and heavy duty Bees model look like they could have been
produced in the same factory from some of the same parts.  Both have
1-1/4" main tubes.  The Savage goes to 13' the Bees to 12'.  The Savage
has an extraordinarily large diameter (52") footprint which is great for
stability when raised high.  It's also air cushioned which the Bees unit
is not.

I paid J&K Group $40 each + $12.50 shipping for the pair.  Savage also
has a 10% rebate in effect at the moment which is good (I think) until
year end.  Recommended and J and K are good folks to deal with.  They're
in Plano, Texas.

Chuck Norcutt