[OM] Re: Alien Bees lighting question (with Olympus equipment)

Subject: [OM] Re: Alien Bees lighting question (with Olympus equipment)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 12:44:40 -0500
I own four B800's and love them.  But for the space you're working in
you probably don't even need the amount of power put out by a B400.
B400's produce 160 watt/seconds, B800's do 320 watt/seconds and B1600's
do 640 watt/seconds.  For purposes of comparison a T-32 produces 100
watt/seconds.  If you have a T-32 or two or some other form of portable
flash you might want to try just bouncing them in the room or firing
through some sort of diffuser panel.  Since a two T-32's or a T-45 will
give you a bit more power than a B400 it could give you an idea of how
much light you need.

Not that I'm trying to discourage you from buying a Bee or two.  I think
they're great.  I especially like their monolight nature (no fiddly
power packs and cables) and their infinitely variable 5-stop power
range. (they do, however, get a little flakey at very low power settings)

The first thing to do with a Bee is go to a home store and get a 150
watt quartz bulb to replace the 100 watt modeling light.  Unfortunately,
that's as high as you can go so the modeling light is really not usable
except in a darkened room.

If you need a light stand.  I just bought 2 Savage 13' heavy duty stands
from J and K Group in Plano.  I'm quite happy with the stands as they're
heavier duty than what I had despite costing quite a bit less than a
similar stand from Alien Bees, have a very wide stance for stability and
are air cushioned.  I bought over ebay at $42.99 each but I'm sure they
will be happy to deal with you by phone or on their website at:
<http://www.jandkgroup.com/>  Recommended.  There's also a 10% rebate on
Savage brand stands and accessories until 12/31.

Any other questions about Bees ask away.  After owning these I can't
imagine putting up with lights that need a power pack.  Even though each
head has its own power supply the heads are very little heavier than
most other heads that don't.

Chuck Norcutt