[OM] Re: TOPE 24 is live!

Subject: [OM] Re: TOPE 24 is live!
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 20:54:50 -0600
> Again: It really depends on where, when and who.

Absolutely! here, DSL from SBC was not terribly fast, about that of cable's
slowest option. When it went down, and that was often, despite the fact that
I live about ten blocks from the exchange, it took HOURS on the phone with
poorly trained people from India, with about one in five with understandable
English. I never was able to resolve a problem in less than two hours, and
that was after a raised voice got me in touch with someone in, of all
places, Georgia.

We get everything from Cox here, phone, cable and internet, at a well
discounted price. They have their own fiber network, switches, etc. and all
tech support is here, within five miles of my house, except between 11PM and
5AM. I pay $40 per month for the mid speed, noticably faster than DSL. If I
wanted to spend $60, I could get the eqiuvalent of a T1 line.

This is all because the previous local owner of the system strung fiber over
15 years ago. It changed owners twice since, and  I don't think Cox is going
anywhere unless they are aquired, since they're the ones that paid for the
switch. They certainly have spent the money necessary. They are getting a
lot of customers in the large user area, and thanks to word of mouth, more
and more residential business.

You, of course, really haven't had SBC for long, whereas we have had it
since the breakup. Trust me, when you get the full SBC treatment, you'll be
back to cable!

Bill Pearce