[OM] Re: Shots again the E-500

Subject: [OM] Re: Shots again the E-500
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:29:18 -0700
Mark Dapoz wrote:

>Face it, we're not going to see any consumer grade DSLR's with a viewfinder
>that looks anything like the old OM's.  It's not a priority.

More than not a priority, which is indeed true, it is also an optical
impossiblity on the 4/3 and APS sized sensors.

>The ability to
>manually focus a lens is not something that the majority of buyers want or
>need.  Viewfinders are there primarily for composing and framing, not focusing;
>that's what the AF is for.  If you're looking for something comparable to
>an OM viewfinder then you're going to have to move up to the pro series and
>pay the extra cost.

Even there, nothing is going to come up to an OM-1 or 2. I can't
remember well enough what the view through a high end Can*n film SLR was
like, but seem to recall it was almost up to an OM-4. The 1Ds II and 5D
will be major improvements over any of the small frame sensor DSLRs
simply because they have are starting with a much bigger viewscreen.

Moose